Sunday, February 28, 2010

Angry Loner's Viral Sickness

Every weekend, I scour the internets to find and post what I deem to be the "sickest" viral video on the web. Think of it as a condensed, 21st Century version of America's Home Videos, without the studio audience.

I spent a long time deliberating about this week's winner, since there were so many worthy contenders.

While I generally frown upon featuring clips from television shows in these posts, there are always exceptions that prove the rule. This week, there were two: a hilarious Daily Show interview with comic Tracy Morgan as well as a house full of down-and-out, possibly drug-addled musicians duking it out on Judge Judy.

I also couldn't resist recognizing this clever Legend of Zelda rap video. And, since I'm a sucker for amusing animal footage, I had to include this clip of one cat massaging another cat's back.

Macabre, revisionist, historical fiction was a definite theme this week as both Gone With the Wind and the life of Abraham Lincoln were re-imagined as Vampire epics. Now that's what I call Southern Gothic!

If those remakes weren't offbeat enough for you, we also saw how 80's screwball comedy Weekend at Bernie's might look if directed by Tim Burton. Even more bizarre still was actress Kirsten Dunst's harajuku cover of The Vapors' "Turning Japanese."

As entertaining as every single one of these offerings were, I felt one video stood apart from the rest. This week's grand prize goes to my old colleagues Dem Neistat Boyz (or one of them, anyway) for this well-produced, scientific study of internet video messaging service Chatroulette:


chat roulette from Casey Neistat on Vimeo.

Neistat's presentation was so clear and concise, the Democratic Party should hire him to make a commercial for health care reform!

No comments:

Post a Comment